Adventure Patch are holding their first International Mud Day on the Sunday, June 30, where children can enjoy the fun and benefits of mud. Sam 4, Nora 2, Noah 3, Isaac 2 and Zoe 2 in front, had a wonderful time playing outside in the mud, learning together and having fun. More photos on Page 3 of this weeks Kingborough Chronicle. (PS)
Can you remember your own childhood memories of playing in mud and the fun you had?
Just like these young curious children from Adventure Patch, Blackmans Bay, messy outdoor play is important, especially in this world of technological savvy children.
Children are often submerged in television, iPads, mobile phones, computers and games consoles rather than playing with dirt, sand, climbing trees and exploring the outdoors.
Why is a mud puddle so important?
It creates potential sensory of fun and giggles, jumping, splashing and opportunities to explore and enjoy the outdoors: avenues for imagination and creativity.
There is a lot of research and abundance of information on how children given opportunities to play in mud boosts their immune system, resulting in a healthier and happier person.
More benefits for children given the opportunity to play in mud are:
* Stimulation of many senses while engaging in play: tactile feelings.
* Hand-eye coordination: scooping, pouring, mixing, carrying containers of mud.
* Cause and effect: dirt and water make mud.
* Pretending real life play: role playing being a chef, making mud pies.
* Imagination and creativity: mud painting, story-telling.
* Gross motor: physically moving around in the mud.
* Self-care knowledge: cleaning objects for next time, washing hands after play.
International Mud Day was first talked about at the 2009 World forum for Early Childhood Care and Education in Belfast.
The aim for International Mud Day is to connect children around the globe through the earth, by playing in the mud.
International Mud Day has children and early childhood professionals all over the world celebrating nature, outdoors and mess by getting really muddy.
This year, Adventure Patch are holding their first International Mud Day on the Sunday, June 30, including mud slides, mud puddles, mud faces, mud kitchens and more.
For more information go to Event Brite website.